– Judge Lewis Kaplan is overseeing Sam Bankman-Fried’s trial on seven counts of fraud and conspiracy.
– Kaplan has presided over trials involving high-profile defendants such as Donald Trump, Al-Qaeda operatives, and Prince Andrew.
– Kaplan allowed a witness to be questioned without the jury present due to disagreements between the defense and prosecution regarding the topics of questioning.
– Bankman-Fried faced questions from his own attorney and the lead prosecutor regarding FTX lawyers’ role in various aspects of the business.
– Bankman-Fried’s testimony drew a large crowd, including Michael Lewis and Ben McKenzie.
– Bankman-Fried’s answers were often noncommittal and meandering, frustrating the prosecution and judge.
– Kaplan will rule on whether Bankman-Fried’s interactions with lawyers can be discussed in front of the jury.
– The defense called two witnesses, Krystal Rolle and Joseph Pimbley, who set up topics for further questioning of Bankman-Fried.
– The trial is expected to conclude early next week.
Judge Lewis Kaplan, who has overseen high-profile trials including those involving Donald Trump, Al-Qaeda operatives, and Prince Andrew, admitted that it has been a long time since he allowed a witness to be questioned without the jury present. The move came as a result of ongoing disputes between the defense and prosecution regarding whether certain topics should be covered in questioning. During the trial, Sam Bankman-Fried, who is facing charges of fraud and conspiracy, faced questions from both his own attorney and the lead prosecutor regarding FTX’s business decisions and interactions with lawyers. Bankman-Fried’s testimony drew a large crowd to the courthouse. Bankman-Fried meandered through his answers and at times frustrated the prosecution and judge. The defense argued that Bankman-Fried took comfort from consultations with lawyers and that their actions did not absolve him of responsibility. Judge Kaplan will rule on whether Bankman-Fried’s interactions with lawyers should be discussed in front of the jury. The defense also called its first two witnesses, whose testimonies provided background for further examination of Bankman-Fried. The trial is expected to conclude early next week.
This is sponsored by: Learn Bitcoin Option